The intel turbo boost technology is developed for intel processors that enable processors to automatically increase the clock frequency of the CPU. When a computer is working on less CPU-intense operations it operates at low frequency.
However, when the task is more CPU demanding then turbo boost technology increases the frequency to cater to the load.
By default computers have their intel turbo boost setting activated. However, you can either disable or enable it.
Table of Contents
Intel turbo boost max technology 2.0 vs 3.0
Turbo boost max 2.0 was the earlier technology that was used in the Xeon version of the processor. It allows the processor to run faster to cater to peak load.
Turbo boost max 3.0 is an improved version that according to Intel, boosts the CPU’s fastest core individually and focuses the work on that core. It is used in Intel X-series types of processors.
Turbo max 3.0 support the use of more cores and it is more power efficient. This reduces power consumption hence battery can last longer compared to 2.0.
How to enable and disable turbo boost max on Windows bios
By default, your computer has intel turbo boost enabled. So most likely the computer is utilizing it. There is no need to disable it unless you are doing some troubleshooting and you think disabling can help solve the problem.
However, if you still want you can enable or disable it from bios. Open the bios setting. This will depend on the brand of computer you are using.
When the computer restart clicks on F10 or another key per your computer brand.
In this guide, I am using HP which is F10. When you access the bios setting menu navigate to the Advanced> Device options as shown in the image below
When the device option opens it will give different devices that you can change its setting. You will realize Turbo mode is enabled by default. If you need to change you can change from that menu.
After you have made the changes to the intel turbo bios setting save the changes and the computer will restart to implement the changes.
Advantages of Intel boost max
- The technology increases the system performance by ensuring the processor is always used optimally.
- It automatically overclocks the processor. It adjusts the processor clock frequency to cater to demand.
- It can be used to conserve power since it allows the system to use power on need bases. More work means more power and vice versa.
- For those CPUs that support intel boost it is enabled by default. This means users don’t need to make any setting changes to enjoy the benefits of the technology.
Disadvantages of turbo boost max on computers
- If the system works at maximum frequency all the time it may overheat the CPU.
- The maximum boost is still limited by processor temperature, type of workload, number of active cores, and estimated power consumption.
- For a laptop computer, it may reduce the lifespan of the battery since turbo boost max consumes more power.
- Intel turbo boost is not supported by all processors. This means if your computer doesn’t have that feature then you cannot enjoy its benefits.
- It supports the latest types of operating systems that are 64bit but may not work well with 32bit OS.