The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are wireless radio frequencies that transmit and receive signals in wireless devices. Most modern routers can support both frequencies and they are set to auto-select the best for each device. For the best WiFi experience, 5GHz is the best for homes and even offices within the same room.
The main difference between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies is the range they cover, number of devices using the frequency, and the data transmission speeds.
2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Frequency
This is a wide-range frequency that is used by most home wireless devices. It is preferred to be used on devices that are used far from the router or access point since they cover wide distances and they can penetrate walls better than 5 GHz.
Advantages of 2.4 GHz
- They cover a wide area from the access point or router.
- Most home devices are compatible with the 2.4 GHz.
Disadvantages of 2.4 GHz
- Many devices use the frequency which can lead to wireless overcrowding and network congestion.
- The 2.4 GHz has a low data speed compared to the 5 GHz.
5 GHz radio frequency
It is a short-range frequency that offers high speed within a short distance. It is not used by many wireless devices hence less congestion.
Advantages of 5 GHz
- It offers transmission at high speed.
- Few wireless devices use the frequency hence less congestion on the network.
- It offers more channels for data transmission.
- It is less likely to have signal interference.
Disadvantages of 5 GHz radio frequency
- The signal can be blocked by walls hence it cannot travel for long distances.
What is the difference between 2.4 GHz vs 5ghz WiFi frequencies
|Criterion||2 GHz WiFi frequency||5GHz WiFi frequency|
|Speed||Low speed||High speed|
|Coverage range||Wide area coverage||Short range coverage|
|Signal interference||More prone to interference||Less prone to signal interference|
|Object penetration||Can easily penetrate walls and obstacles||It can be blocked by walls and other obstacles|
|Number of channels||Fewer channels||More transmission channels|
|Signal congestion||The signal is congested with many devices using it.||Less signal congestion|
Which is better 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?
For faster connection, 5GHz will be your choice while for long-range coverage devices, 2.4 GHz will be the best. 2 GHz covers a wide area at a low speed while 5 GHz covers a short distance at faster data transmission.