When it comes to computer maintenance and repair tools they can either be hardware or software. Hardware tools are physical pieces of equipment like screwdrivers that are used to repair the physical components of the computer. Software maintenance tools on the other side are used to maintain and repair programs parts of the system.
The main computer hardware maintenance tools are pliers, screws and nut drivers, multimeters, tweezers, and cable clippers among others. They are used for a variety of functions depending on the tool. Tools can be used for cutting, holding, tightening, or loosening among other special functions. In this article, we are going to deal with both hardware and software maintenance and repair tools.
Common computer maintenance tools and equipment and their functions
Hardware repair and maintenance tools and equipment
- Screwdrivers: used to tighten or loosen screws. Different types of screwdrivers are flat-head for slotted screws, Phillips-head for cross-headed screws, and star for star-headed screws.
- Nut drivers: they are also called hex drivers. Nut drivers are used to tighten or loosen nuts and bolts.
- Tweezers: used to remove tiny components or removing small wires on the personal computer (PC).
- Wire cutter and stripper: it is used to cut the wire and strip the insulation material to uncover the wires. They can be used to strip cables when terminating network cables.
- Multimeter: it is used to measure multiple electrical values such as voltage, ohms, and current. The best is a digital multimeter which has an LCD display.
- Memory module tester: it is special equipment that tests main memory (RAM) functionality.
- Pliers: Used for cutting and gripping or holding parts. Types include needle-nose, slip-joint, and cutting piers among others.
- Soldering rod: it is used to remove solder from components and fix others. The rod is used during repair to fix components on the motherboard.
- Flashlight: Used to light up areas that you cannot see well. It can be used at the repair table.
- Cable crimper: Used to attach connectors to wires. The most common is the network cable crimper that terminates the RJ45 to the ethernet cable.
- Soft cleaning cloth: Used to clean computer components without scratching or damaging them.
- Cleaning agent: use the correct type of cleaning agent to clean different components either when maintaining or repairing. The recommended agent is isopropyl alcohol or distilled water. What is used depends on which part is being cleaned.
- Antistatic wrist strap: it is used to protect computer components against static electricity.
- Cables ties: they are used to bundle cables together in an organized manner. When you use cable ties you cannot remove them unless you cut the tie completely.
- Air blower: used to blow away dust from different parts of the computer. They can be used in general maintenance routines or before you repair components.
Software maintenance and repair tools
Software maintenance and repair tools are used to manage the software components and can also check the functionality of computer hardware. Mostly they are specialized for a specific function. The main software repair and maintenance tools are:
- Data recovery software: This is software that is used to help recover data that is lost due to storage media problems. They can be used to repair and recover data. We have some that are freeware and others more advanced that are for pay.
- Disk utility software: Hard disk is a critical component that holds all user data and it has a number of repair tools dedicated to it. Some disk management programs are disk cleaners, defragmenters, partitioners, formatting, and checker among others. We have a more detailed article about different types of disk utility software you can read.
- Antivirus and malware: antivirus programs are used to scan, detect, and remove malicious programs from the computer. By using this software we can reduce many problems that are associated with computer viruses. There are many antivirus programs on the market such as Norton, Kaspersky, Avast, Bit defender, Comodo, and Avira among others.
- The driver’s installer and updater: up-to-date drivers ensure that all components are functioning optimally. These repair tools are used to detect any missing drivers and install them. They also check the version and update it to the latest drivers.
- Software uninstaller: when you uninstall a program from your computer, most of the time it only removes the directory where the program was but other files still remain. The uninstaller software deletes all data for the specific programs including the registry data. This frees up storage space for other programs.
How to maintain and take care of hardware tools
How long your hardware tools will last depends on how you take care of them. Better care better service they will offer and for a long time. These are some of the tips you can use to ensure your hardware repair tools last longer.
- Always clean your tools after use. Depending on the type of the tool clean it using the appropriate cleaning agent after use.
- Return the tools to the right location. You should have a designated storage location for all your tools like a tool rack. After use return them to the right position on the rack or toolbox.
- Use the tool for the right job: each tool is designed to be used for a specific function try and stick to the basic use of that tool. This ensures that you don’t damage the item and the component that is being repaired.
- Keep your tool dry to avoid then rusting: most hardware repair tools are metallic which means theta re susceptible to rust if left wet. Always ensure they are dry before returning them to the toolbox or rack.
- Follow safety guidelines: check the safety rules and guidelines that are given in the tool user manual and follow them. This ensures the equipment work as specified and the user is also safe.