With so many servers that can be used for small businesses, it can be tasking trying to choose one among them. In this article, we are going to help you make the right decision for your small business by getting the best server that will help grow your business.
For a server computer, you need to consider factors like processor type and speed, main memory, storage, connectivity, price, and server type among others.
Server computer comes either as a tower, rack, or blade server. They all serve the same purpose but the rack and blade have more room for expansion when compared to the tower server.
Factors to consider when selecting the best server for your small business
Before we can embark on deciding which is the best server here we get the criteria that you can use to compare different servers. When it comes to servers you need to consider a number of factors to ensure you have the best for business. These factors include.
- Cost of acquisition and maintenance: of course cost is one main factor when you have a small business to run to reduce expenses. Ensure you have a budget within which your server cannot go past. Remember some servers for larger enterprises can be costly.
- Room to expansion: your business is small today but that is just for a moment before it grows. This means you should consider a server that your business can grow from small to atleast medium size before you think of changing. Expansion can be in terms of main memory, storage, network card, and what the processor can handle.
- Processor types and speed: most servers are designed for high-speed processing. Check on the latest processor generation.
- Main memory (RAM): for small businesses that run a few sever operations you can start with 32GB RAM. However, ensure it can be upgraded to 64GB or even high. This means you can start small and grow.
- Secondary storage: Hard disks are the main storage device although they are being replaced by solid-state storage (SSD). Depending on the data that your business intends to deal with you can start with 1TB of storage. The server computer should have space to add more hard disk and SSD storage when needed.
- Connectivity: this is the different way that servers connect to other components and networks. Check the type of ethernet port that it supports and its speed. How many USB ports and HDMI ports it has? Does it use VGA, HDMI, or what types of video adaptors for screen connection?
Best server for small businesses in 2023
The HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10
This HP server comes as a tower computer that offers high performance. It has an Intel Xeon processor which means you don’t need to worry about your server having low speed. Depending on the model you can have processor cores from 4 to 28. For your small business, you can start with 12 or 16 cores. This is one server that I have worked with and it is a reliable computer for small enterprises.
The server comes with 32GB of RAM, however, you can specify if you require more when purchasing it can be added.
HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10
- CPU: Intel Xeon Scalable processors
- RAM: 32GB expandable to 3TB
- Storage: No drive included but can start with 32GB
- Network controller: HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 369i Adapter
HP MicroServer Gen10 Plus
It is a cheaper more compact office server compared to the HPE ProLiant ML350. It is the most compact HPE server. You don’t have to worry about where to position it since it can be either placed flat on the desk or vertically depending on available space. Despite its size, it is fast and reliable for small business operations.
HP MicroServer Gen10 Plus
- CPU: Intel Xeon E-2200 series
- RAM: 32GB
- Storage: 4TB Fast SSD
- Network controller: Ethernet Controller 4-ports per controller